Friday, May 24, 2013

Sewing For Modesty...

Lately I've been frustrated with my tired wardrobe -
 so I decided I would try to actually make something (it's been years!)   
I don't consider myself a seamstress - so this was a simple effort.  
If I can do it - I'm thinking most everyone can.  
Sewing is a great way to gain modest clothing for your closet.  
(Shopping at the malls can be a real challenge!)
  I had a simple skirt in my closet (the plum piece on the left below) 
I used as a pattern.  But first - I needed some fabric.  
These were my 'on hand' viable options.  I loved that brown daisy 
dotted swiss - but decided against it in case I messed up. 
 The red teeny gingham fabric is actually vintage curtain panels - 
so I had some ripping to do to get enough fabric.
Isn't it adorable?

Essentially - I just laid the skirt onto the fabric and cut it a 
little larger on each side.  Just 2 side seams folks! 
I did this times 2 - because I added a lining.  
(Out of old solid cream curtains I found for almost nothing!)
I wanted to mimic the drawstring waist of the original skirt.  To form the ties - 
I just eyeballed it and folded the fabric onto itself to cut a straight line...
It worked!...
 My original skirt was almost maxi length with a plain hem.  
I chose a slightly shorter version and added a ruffle.  
   This would be me - slightly graying hair and all.  
I love how green it is outside right now - 
we've had lots of gentle spring rains.
I think I'm gonna love this skirt. And it cost well under $5.
And who knows?  I might do me some more sewing!
(Need to work at making some peasant blouses.  Cute modest shirts are hard to find!)

Linking to Modest Monday

1 comment:

MrsSM said...

Hi!

I found you from themodestmom.blogspot.com.

What a pretty skirt, and how much fun to be able to do it with things you already had on hand. Good for you! I really like the style and the ruffle on it.

I enjoy "copying" things I already have, too. We have several items in our household that I've made that way. It's a great skill--keep going with it!:)

Thanks for sharing your story!

Krista